A highly professional and rigorous volunteer service program, through which national service members serve full time for one year in a capacity building role.
Our AmeriCorps Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA) members make a one year commitment to build capacity and infrastructure development to help more effectively bring individuals and communities out of poverty. Through activities such as fundraising, establishment of community volunteer recruitment and management systems, community outreach, and collaborative development, VISTA members mobilize local resources to achieve lasting solutions to poverty. VISTA members generally do not provide direct service, such as working directly with children or leading family activities. Instead, they focus efforts on building our organizational, administrative, and financial capacity with the goal of achieving transformative and sustainable outcomes.
Serving as an AmeriCorps VISTA at Center For Family Services is not only a great way to positively impact an area of high need, but it is also an excellent professional development opportunity.
VISTA service provides perspective that is essential in our increasingly diverse and ever changing society.
- Robert S.
VISTA service enhances new skills and allows you to give back to the community that you are a part of.
- Colin F.
VISTA members have increased enrollment in 83% of programs where they have served.
AmeriCorps VISTA members serving at Center For Family Services receive the following benefits:
- Living allowance of $14,097/year ($542 biweekly before taxes)
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,920 payable to a lender or educational institution (to be used toward student loans) or graduate school OR $1800 cash award upon end of service. Please note, both the education award and cash award considered taxable.
- Many universities match the education award for graduate programs
- Forbearance for federal loans- accrued interest from the year is covered by CNCS
- 10 days of personal leave and 10 days of medical leave
- Limited health benefits
- Housing is not provided for VISTA members, but members relocating from a distance of 50 miles or more are provided up to $550 to assist with relocation expenses. This $550 is dispersed as part of the first check VISTAs receive with their living allowance payment (this first living allowance check is received 2-3 weeks into service).
All VISTA placements at Center For Family Services are contingent upon a drug screening and criminal background check. For certain positions, medical testing including physical and PPD are also required. All positions require a high school diploma or G.E.D. Many positions require an Associate's Degree or Bachelor's Degree.
Contact our Volunteer/VISTA Coordinator, Marissa Cantu, by email or at 856.651.7553 x40160 for more information.
AmeriCorps VISTA is a program funded through the Corporation of National and Community Service (CNCS).